Sunday, April 13, 2008

Two Days at Big Tree Lake

Fished Big Tree Lake again Friday and Saturday. On the water around 11 and off by 4 or 5. Temps are changing enough that I feel I need ot arrange my scheduling for more early or late fishing. I am missing the hatches. Sporadic fish making splashy rises. On Friday one pontoon boater caught 4 on Black Wooly Buggers with a little flash on them. The other three or four on the lake each managed to catch at least one, using a light blue dun emerger that flew from my vise a couple of weeks ago. I am calling it an OFC Midge. On Saturday I expected a huge crowd on the lake. Just me, my guest, and two others in float tubes. We caught a few each, but the others on the lake got skunked. They were fishing Wooly Buggers. I honestly tried to find some other way to catch fish, but either the flies or my technique weren't up to the task. I finally went to the OFC Midge fished wet and still had no luck. I was in the pontoon boat, bobbing around in 78 degree windless conditions, trying to write and trying to stay asleep....I mean awake, and my rod tip dove for the bottom of the lake. I missed that strike. To be sure that that action wasn't a fluke, I remembered that the OFC map of Big Tree claimed where I was at was 10 feet deep. Simple calculation.....71/2 foot leader, three feet of tippet..I had a couple of inches of fly line out the tip of the rod....little flip out, and let it dangle. Less than a minute went by and BAM! fish on! That technique worked for three nice fish, then the action ceased. It is probably important that I was moving around in the water as carefully as a fat 56 year-old man sneaking up on a chocolate cake. No oars, fins, or chocolate cake dangling in the water. If this works for you, remember me.

No comments: