Thursday, April 3, 2008

Flyfishing Merit Badge Class

Last week I taught a 4 hour flyfishing merit badge class to six Boy Scouts . It's a wonderful opportunity to pass along flyfishing and fly tying skills to youngsters. Not all of them will catch the fire and continue to adult hood, but there are always a few. Through years of teaching these classes I have somehow managed to attract three fishing buddies that give me a call almost everytime there is a teacher planning day, spring break, or summer vacation to go fishing. Ten year old Trevor has continued on and comes to the house on Tuesdays to tie flies with me. We tie together for an hour and then he gets a half hour piano lesson from my wife. He is really sharp, and it's a lot of fun to watch the expressions and body language when he hooks a fish. It's a real hoot! It would be great to see him get good enough to tie at some sportsman's shows and expos. Last week we put our heads together and co-created a new pattern. It has been dubbed the Peterson Special. I wish I had a pic for you. The USB thingie to transfer pics from my camera to the computer gave out on me and I still have to get another. I will update pics in a new post soon.

I would be terribly remiss if I failed to mention the many individuals as well as industry wholesale and retail concerns that have donated tools, materials, and tackle at various times to assist me in my classes and I appreciate their assistance with all my being. I could not afford to offer this to the youth without you.

I have another class next saturday and look forward to that class as well.

No comments: