Thursday, April 3, 2008

Twin Oaks Pond

My fishing buddy Trevor and I went to Twin Oaks Pond last week. He did the navigating. Yeah, you guessed it. We missed the turnoff to the ponds. The right turn finally made, and we only lost about 5 minutes of fishing time. We both fished the shallows with flies and never saw a fish. Spinners (single hook and barbless) didn't draw a bite shallow or deep anywhere in the pond. I was just about convinced that the pond was fished out. We had brought some worms to fish for catfish in the Tualatin River if it came to that so we gave those a try. I made a simple rig for worm fishing, barbless single hook on the bottom and a coupleof removable split shot two feet up the line. Tried worm and bobber in the shallows and in the middle of the pond. Nothing. Finally, the most boring fishing in the world unless bites come immediatley.......on the bottom, prop up the rod and watch the rod tip. Pepared myself to sit on the bench and wait 'till Trevor wanted to go. Cast out, let the rig sink to the bottom. Reel in the slack, prop up the rod and reel in slack again and wait forever to catch fish that aren't there. As soon as the worm got to the bottom the rod tip went tap, tap, tap. THERE ARE FISH IN HERE! Brought in a very nice rainbow in the 17 inch range. Yelled to Trevor and he re-rigged and started catching fish too. We caught fish for an hour and then it was time to leave. It's always rewarding to solve a fishing problem and turn a frustrating trip into a satisfying one. Every time this happens I learn. When I learn I become a better fisherman. As I become a better fisherman people benefit from my advice and finally I have someone else to pat me on the back......I threw my shoulder out last month doing it myself. This was my first trip to the pond and it's a cute little pond. An active small airport runway to the east and llamas across the fence to the west. A shaded picnic table, fishing platforms around the lake, parking close to the table, an outhouse with magazines and no toilet paper (always bring your own.....I left mine there for you to use), and Trevor squealing about the big fish that has just wrapped the line around the dock's leg. I vowed to return again soon. Conner and Kyle called today and tried to shame me into taking them fishing tomorrow....something about the last day of spring break and I still haven't taken them fishing. We leave at 9am.

No comments: